If you’ve been a little lacklustre in your attempts to keep in shape for a few months, with key events and meetings approaching, you’ll need to dress to impress. Fear not. Niko Algieri has 5 exercises that will create the illusion of a great body whilst you continue to build real one in the background. These really are quick fix exercises, they jumpstart your muscles in to being more active again and looking toned. You will look better initially but to make a lasting and impactful change it takes months of consistent work. For now, let’s take the shortcut.
1. Lateral Raise: First part of the illusion is shoulders that look like they can actual hold a suit up. Grab a couple of dumbbells depending on your strength. Hold them by your side with a slight bend in elbows and simply raise them out to side and then lower slowly. Perform 15 Reps x 4 Sets. If you’re at home, then use water bottles.
2. Squat: Simple air squat will tone your legs up to a decent standard within a couple of weeks and give them the form they’ve been missing lately. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart with a slight outturn of the feet. Whilst raising your arms out in front of you and keeping the weight in your heels, spread your knees and bend them at the same time lowering your hips to below knee level then stand back up. Perform 4 sets of 20 reps.
3. Glute bridge: Possibly the most underrated exercise at the moment but perfect for creating shape in the hamstrings and glutes. Keep it simple. Lie on your back on the floor and bend your knees at 90 degrees keeping your feet flat to the floor. Keeping your arms by your side and lift your bum up until your hips become level with your knees and hips then lower back to the floor. Make sure you’re squeezing your glutes all the through the movement. Perform 4 sets of 20 reps.
4. Plank to side plank combo: Now. This is tough. Get into a plank position with your knees off the floor and legs straight (elbows for beginner and straight arms for advanced). Hold this for as close to 20s as possible then without lowering your knees transfer to a side plank. Hold this for 20s and then transfer to the other side. You can choose to rest at this point but if you really want to tighten the waist then go through the full 3mins without touching the floor ONCE.
5. The final piece of this very short puzzle is the arms. You’re going to work agonist and antagonist muscles. Biceps versus triceps. It’s simple. You’re going to use the dumbbells you used earlier or a resistance band or heavy water bottles. You’re going to perform a standing bicep curl (both arms at the same time) for 15-20 reps. From there you don’t rest. You tip forward from the hips with a slight knee bend. Lift your arms behind you, higher than your bum, then flex at the at the elbow lowering the weight but leaving the upper arm where it is and then you straighten your arm hitting the triceps. Make this a quick workout so perform 15-20 reps back to back for 4 sets. Your arms will be toned enough to pull off that suit in a 2 weeks.
As mentioned before this is quick fix to get you toned and ready for the events that are looming. You will need to commit to regular training and nutrition to make a lasting and healthy change to your body.